The Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies, and it is one of those films that requires quotation. In one memorable scene, Wesley (dressed as the Dread Pirate Roberts) converses with Fezzik (Andre the Giant) about his mask-wearing.
Fezzik: Why do you wear a mask? Were you burned with acid or something?
Wesley: Oh no. It’s just they’re terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.
I think Wesley spoke with more wisdom than he knew. Here in the age of internet and social media, it has become increasingly easy to interact with many people under the pretense of complete anonymity. One can post scathing remarks on blogs with no repercussions. People are not scared to bear the deepest parts of their souls on forums and chat rooms as long as they are hidden by some catchy screen name like iwashotstuffin1998. I consider my blog to be semi-anonymous. My friends know who I am, and complete strangers can learn a fair bit about me (in this “information age” I’m sure almost anyone halfway skilled with a computer can find out all my personal information).
In the past two days this blog has seen double the traffic I have had in the past six months, which yesterday i would have considered INCONCEIVABLE! I am thankful for all the visits, and I’m glad that so many people found my blog about American Pie worth reading. Since all the new readers that have come across For Aslan…and the Volunteer State do not know me from Adam, I thought it would be helpful to peel back a little bit of the For Aslan mask.
Some facts you might like to know:
- You might have guessed it, but my name is not Aslan. Not that Aslan is a bad name, it’s just not mine. “For Aslan” is a reference to C.S. Lewis’s Narnia books, and specifically this scene in Prince Caspian:
- I included “the Volunteer State” in the name of this blog, because I love Tennessee. I was born and raised in Tennessee, and I love that state. Here is a post I wrote about My ‘Ole Tennessee Home.
- I am a music-lover. I also love comedy. For those reasons I will often mention Igudesman and Joo, because they are really stinkin’ good musicians and very funny. Just look:
- I moved to Louisville, KY for school, and that is why the subtitle of my blog is “Musings from an Alien in the Commonwealth.” In case you didn’t know, Kentucky is a commonwealth, not a state. I don’t know why this is. I do know, however, that Louisville is not Southern. I do like Louisville for what it is, but I do hope to make it back to Tennessee one day.
- If you read enough of my posts you’ll see that I am a big sports fan. I love the Chicago Cubs (which proves that I am an eternal optimist).
- You might wonder why I have a whole category dedicated to restaurant equipment on my blog. I work in restaurant equipment. I do not plan to spend the rest of my life working in the restaurant equipment industry, but I do enjoy my job. So, just know on the front end that every now and then I might tell you the advantages of a True Refrigerator.
- Also, I am a big fan of coffee. I love drinking coffee, and I have an affinity for specialty coffee equipment. I am also a strong opponent of Coffee Addiction. Please enjoy it in moderation people!
I hope you have enjoyed getting to know me. To quote another great masked man:
Underneath the clothes is a man,
and underneath the man is his…nucleus.
Until later friends…